Subject: Ticket Assigned - Wrong credit note issued
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 16:41:09 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Wrong credit note issued Hello,

I returned my order that included two water guns to centerpoint juffair
branch. The cashier kept both the items and issued me 2 credit notes. After
reaching home when my husband gave me the credit notes i realized that both
the credit notes had same voucher numbers .i sent my husband again that day
to speak to the cashier about it. She and i spoke ok call and she said that
as the items were same the voucher code is same. All i have to do is use
the vouchers for two different checkouts. I also thought that she might be
right because the transaction numbers on the receipts are different. i used
one voucher but i am not able to use the second voucher. The cashier had
kept both the items and i trusted her words.  I also checked the app and it
also says that only one was returned and refund was only for one item. I
have no other evidences to prove my self but you can check your cameras
 and ask the cashier who did this return.Unfortunately now your shops are
even closed. Please contact the cashier about this issue and solve my
problem.

Here i am attaching the pictures of the two vouchers and the returned order.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2651659