Subject: Ticket Assigned - Terrible Customer service /order no 9663841628
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 08:01:20 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Terrible Customer service /order no 9663841628 Contacted Customer service in regards wrongly delivered size.
I ordered size 22 and got size 19??? That's not first time that Centerpoint
sends wrong items (same happened with Splash as well) and same type of
response.
I doubt that you have so dumb staff that they cannot read, but believe
that's done on purpose, as item was on offer.

CSR has no courtesy nor knowledge to discuss, and solve the problem with
the customer, so they hanged up the phone...???

Only what I need is to rectify their "mistake" and deliver correct size,
and not to ask from me to go to the store to exchange it, and they aren't
sure if it is available at the first place
????

Expecting your soonest response and resolution of this problem.

Nadia
0503606063

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2622454