Subject: Ticket Assigned - Issue with Security -- Attention Store Manager
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 11:29:31 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Issue with Security -- Attention Store Manager <https://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN8003x16466395175293511949&id=YN8003x16466395175293511949&q=Centrepoint&name=Centrepoint&cp=25.245290756225586%7e55.30363845825195&ppois=25.245290756225586_55.30363845825195_Centrepoint>Dear
Store Manager,

I am writing to advise you of an extremely troubling situation that
happened with your security guard today at this location:

Bur Juman, Karama, Dubai
<https://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN8003x16466395175293511949&id=YN8003x16466395175293511949&q=Centrepoint&name=Centrepoint&cp=25.245290756225586%7e55.30363845825195&ppois=25.245290756225586_55.30363845825195_Centrepoint>

I would be happy to discuss this matter with you in person.  I was advised
that my wife and sister were prohibited from leaving the store despite no
alarm sounding while each of the four bags of items they paid for were
rifled through by the security guard without explanation and without
apology.

This type of racial profiling and offensive treatment to paying customers
is entirely unacceptable. Paying customers should never be subject to such
deplorable behavior.  They do not even want to return to the store
anymore.  Further, all of the items were handled by the security guard
which during the period of covid-19 is unforgivable.  Customers have a
right to items they've paid for not being subsequently touched and moved
around by security.

I would like to be assured that this behavior will never occur again and is
not tolerated by your store.

Thank you,

Kevin Patrick

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2364042