Subject: Ticket Assigned - Exchange for defective product - Order No. 9645110748
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 16:27:14 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Exchange for defective product - Order No. 9645110748 Dear Sir/Madam,

I have ordered some items on 25 March 2021 under order number 9645110748.
Among the items I have ordered 2 nos of Jockey shorts with style # 9426
size , one of which was blue and another charcoal colour. When i received
the item although both the shorts are having the same style number still
they are different. The blue colour short is okay with style exactly
matching the one i am currently using however, the charcoal colour short
style is different with drawstring being on the outer side. Moreover, the
charcoal colour short is having a patchwork closure on the zipfly enclosure
whereas there should not be any zipfly enclosure on this type short.
Therefore, I request your advice on the way to exchange the defective
charcoal color short with the correct one. I am attaching the photographs
of the same for your reference.
Furthermore, please note that I have purchased the item under the mentioned
order with ADCB promo and therefore I will prefer an exchange rather than
return since with the exchange I will be able to retain the savings I have
made due to the promo.

Looking forward to an early response.
With Regards,
Pradeep Hazra

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2348811