Subject: Ticket Assigned - EMPLOYEE and EOSB VERIFICATION - MARY ELIZABETH NACOR BASILIO
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:58:56 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  EMPLOYEE and EOSB VERIFICATION -  MARY ELIZABETH NACOR BASILIO  

EMPLOYMENT and EOSB VERIFICATION

 

Customer Name

MARY ELIZABETH NACOR BASILIO

Passport Number

EC1966282

Nationality

PHILIPPINES

Company 

SHOE MART L.L.C.

Designation

SALES

 

Dear HR,

Hope this email finds you well.

We write to you on behalf of National Bank of Ras Al-Khaimah (RAKBANK), in
our capacity as the authorized agent of the Bank.

This is with regard to the  referral check of one the Bank's "Customer"
(MARY ELIZABETH NACOR BASILIO)  who previously employed from your company.

Kindly update us regarding the status of the End Of Service Benefit  that
suppose to be credit on his RAKBANK account.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation & regret any inconvenience
caused to you in this regard.

 

Regards,

 

|| Dalia ||

||Collection & Recovery||

____________________________________________________________________________
________________________________

|| Hadaf Al Khaleej Debt Collections LLC [Tahseel]
||cid:[email-masked]

|| Al Majaz, Sharjah - United Arab Emirates || PO box  3091 || Tel +971 6
5193656 || [email-masked]||Website: www.tahseel.com
<http://www.tahseel.com/> || 

||Sharjah - Head Office|Dubai|Abu
Dhabi|Egypt|Qatar|Jordon|India|Lebanon|UK|Canada|US||

P Consider the environment. Please do not print this e-mail unless you
really need

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2314069