Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order number 6273473186
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 16:21:21 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order number 6273473186 Dear Sir,

My name is Mrs.Shahid and I am your regular online customer. I place
several online orders a month.

Today I collected my 10 online orders from Centre point branch Jubail
downtown. All orders are fine but one order badly disappointed me.

I ordered two cosmetic items in this order: 1) maybelline eyelinear
2) maybelline age rewind concealer

When I opened the parcel, first thing that shocked me was that there was
only eye linear in the box and thr second item was missing. (Pictures
attached)

Second thing that disappointed me was that it is not the eye linear that I
ordered. And third surprise was that the eye linear given to me was not
only open( unsealed) but it was 100 percent dry from inside.

I am so sorry but this is very unsatisfactory as this has happened second
time with me. Last month I also ordered eyelinear and an open unsealed
linear was given to me. I do not understand how can a person pack an open
and used product.

I request you to please resolve this issue as soon as possible. I want to
return this item immediately. Please ask someone to collect it from my
place as it will not be possible for me to visit the store soon. Second
thing, please refund my complete amount 62 riyals in "my credit".

Your cooperation will be highly appreciated.
My contact 0508685121
My address: Building opposite kabana restaurant , Jubail, downtown, 8th
floor.

Regards,
Mrs. Shahid

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2126449