Subject: Ticket Assigned - Wrong Delivered Order
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 03:06:57 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Wrong Delivered Order Dears,
I made an online order with number 2001145449 on 16 march 2021, it got
delivered yesterday
with a different models than those i bought, i contacted your customer care
call centre and they told me to send an email to you with the screen shots
of the order confirmation and the models i chose and the items received.

kindly i would like to exchange the item i received wrong with the 1 i
ordered already with size Large.

kindly find the attached screenshots.
Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Hagar Ahmed
Supervisor, Admissions Office

*Misr International University*Km 28 Cairo - Ismailia Road (Ahmed Orabi
District) Cairo, Egypt
Tel.: 19 (miu) 19648 / (+202) 24772033-37
Ext.: 123
Fax.: (+202) 24772038

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2269575