Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order no: 7442682576 complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 12:45:05 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order no: 7442682576 complaint Dear Sir/madam

I am writing this mail to post a complaint regarding an order I made
online. Order no is. 7442682576.  I collected this order today afternoon
from your branch at segaya, Bahrain. But I have a complaint.

I opened the package to check the items before leaving the stores. But I
found that one of the item whose description was ‘ELIGO TEXTURED SLEEVELESS
TOP WITH SKIRT’. I found only the top and the skirt was not included in the
package. I informed a sales lady there who handed me this package and she
said I had to contact the customer care. And I called the customer care and
a representative asked me to mail the complaint.

I am satisfied with all the other items. But for this item, I feel very
much dissatisfied. Please find a solution for this and arrange to send me
the skirt as well to collect from the same branch.

Kindly send the skirt. I have attached the screenshots and photos.

Regards.
RINCY

-- 
Thanking You,
Rincy Ann Joseph

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2267362