Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint on Order #: 9639026737
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 07:24:33 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint on Order #: 9639026737 Hi,

I received my online purchases today under the order #: 9639026737 and all
are good except the white fitflop shoes. I was looking forward to this pair
because finally it has my size. I purchased the same thing few months back
but a size smaller because that's what's only available at that time. I
also got the pink and black ones of this shoes.That's how much I love this
but to my dismay, I am really disappointed with what I received because it
seemed that it is not a brand new item. The sole is really dirty, there are
dents on top of the shoes already like it has been used a few times already
and the box is damaged.

I mean, yes, this is a very cheap price already but this price is the same
as the other colors. I must say, if I will buy the other colors, for sure I
will be getting a much better product. It is okay to sell 2nd hand items or
slightly used or whatever but at least, indicate on the description the
problems it has so the costumer would know what she's paying for and we
wouldn't be shocked when we receive the items. I got my 1st white fitflop
pair in the same price and i must say, it was not like this when I received
it.

Please find the attached photos so you'll have a better understanding of
what I am complaining about.

Thank you.

Sapphire
052-888-1315

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2189535