Subject: Ticket Assigned - Issue with Iteam Delivered
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:53:26 +0000

Hi Mohammad Humayun,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Issue with Iteam Delivered Hi

My order number 4532524898
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/qa/en/my-account/order/4532524898?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_shipped_QA_en>
arrived
very fast thank you for that however the bag still has the security tag on
it and i need to give it to someone as a gift.

How can i fix this issue as i am worried about giving the bag to someone
with the security tag and if they go to any shops it will alert the alarm
etc. or they will think that i stole the bag which is not good for me or my
reputation as I am a HR professional at my company.

This could also get me into a lot of trouble with the law as you should be
aware that theft is not tolerated in this country and I do not want to get
into trouble with the law or lose my job over this issue.

Please could someone assist me ASAP, it is quite urgent.

Kind regards
Wilma Spitsbaard
+974 3003 9865

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2060055