Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Home Box <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0000

Hi Alka Pandey,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   Hello,

We would like to bring to your notice that the bed full set which was
delivered to us on 21/12/2020 found to be not good. Herewith attaching the
pics, bed side support is chipping off and the side table also has a
problem. Please replace both or rectify the problem,  it will be better if
you replace the same. Our invoice number 29001602081120201209. Hope you
will revert soon and fix the issue at earliest.

Kind regards,

Abdul Khadir
(0502887158)

We had given complaint earlier and though the above was replaced but the
footside of bed is again chipping off.

Kind regards,

Abdul Khadir
(0502887158)

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2211953