Subject: Ticket Assigned - noon loyalty VIP‏‏‏‏‏‏
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 16:25:12 +0000

Hi Osam Thabit Qaid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  noon loyalty VIP‏‏‏‏‏‏ Dear marketing manager at maxfashion,

I trust this email finds you well!

This is Abdullah Alahmadi  from Blue Bnana agency, and I am contacting you
on behalf of noon group to propose a potential partnership collaboration
between (merchant) and noon.

noon group will launch noon loyalty VIP program in 2021, and it's designed
for noon high-value customers. The program aims to provide our VIP
customers with special privileges across a wide variety of brands in many
different segments such as restaurants, cafes, entertainment, car rental,
transportation, car services, and home services. We would be delighted to
have {your brand} or {all your brands} with us to access our
high-spend/digitally savvy customers.

In order to proceed,  I would like to schedule a call to discuss further
details.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,

Abdullah Alahmadi
053 622 6598

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1924963