Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fraud Alert
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 06:31:33 +0000

Hi Yasser Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fraud Alert Dear Customer Support team,

Kindly, I would sadly inform you that, I have been deceived yesterday Jan.
2nd., 7:00 pm, from the Click & Collect employee Andalus mall Store in
Jeddah, when the employee asked me about my information "Name & Phone
number", I gave them to her, I thought it was easier for her to search for
my order by them, than searching by the order number.
Then I found her typing them in her mobile not Center-point device, when I
had a look at what she was doing, I found her filling a customer
satisfaction survey using my information. !!!!!!!
Then she completed the normal process asking my my order number and she
gave me my order.
When I waited for a while to see what she was doing with the others, I
found her doing the same for each Click & Collect customer.

I hope that you are going to investigate this case, as it is reflecting
dishonesty in dealing with your customer, and by the end of the day it is
kind of a fraud being  done under your brand name.

My orders numbers were: #6259760282, #6259474839

Thanks & I am waiting for your feedback regarding this case.

Best Regards

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1949596