Subject: Ticket Assigned - Follow up on refund
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 08:55:37 +0000

Hi Yasser Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Follow up on refund Kindly update me on the two refund requests with below details. These were
processed on 13th Dec and I remember 5-7 workings days os the criteria

Your refund is on its way
Hi Mrs Saad, we have successfully processed your refund for return
1000306833 for order 9620375831
<https://www.maxfashion.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9620375831?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_order_returned_AE_en>
.

Your refund is on its way
Hi Mrs Saad, we have successfully processed your refund for return
1000277893 for order 9618749187
<https://www.maxfashion.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9618749187?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_order_returned_AE_en>
.

Regards

-- 
Best Regards, Nida Anwer Associate Director RMS

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1905513