Subject: Ticket Assigned - A complaint about defective product
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 13:50:03 +0000

Hi Meshari Abdullah Alshudukhi,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  A complaint about defective product  Dear sir,
Greetings of the day

I bought a blouse from your branch in Asdaf Mall, Khamis Mushait, KSA on
5th of November,2020.
My wife used it twice and the third time she found out that the cloth had
worn out in 4 places around both armpits !
I contacted your customer support number and asked about the return policy
and I went to a Max branch located next to Al Ghoneim Markets on 18
November 2020, but they told me that I need to go to the same branch from
which I bought the item. So I went to the same branch on 20 November 2020,
but the manager refused to return the item because it exceeded the 14 days
return period. I told him that the item is defected and according to the
Saudi Ministry of Trade; defected items are not subjected to the return
policy period and that I already visited one of your branches within the
time limit, but the manager refused to return it and said the defect is
caused by the misuse of my wife as she must have moved here arms in all
directions !!! He didn't even bother to examine the blouse and just took a
quick glimpse at it although the protocol is to take the item to be checked
by the brand's quality control team which didn't happen at all here !
Please note that we bogut the "EUR 34" size and my wife is 169cm tall and
only 50 kilograms in weight and clearly she is not the hulk !! Also we
didn't know that to wear your products, we should stand still and never
move or it's gonna be our fault for any damage caused by the low quality of
these products !

We have been Max customers in our home country "Egypt'' and it's the first
time to try your products here is Saudi Arabia and I'm shocked by the low
quality of the products and the low standards of your employees. We are
truly shocked.
I have already filed an official complaint against your company to the
Saudi Ministry of Trade and this will be the last time to buy anything from
you.

You will be hearing from us soon legally.

Dr. Mohamed Fathy Allam
Registrar of Anesthesia, AFHSR

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1723402