Subject: Re: Confused Please Help??
From: Phaedrus Arif <[email-masked]>
To: Vimal Tewari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 20:44:24 +0530

Hi Vimal

I am very sorry for the delayed response since I have been busy
training new agents and couldn't get the chance to respond.
Regarding 3184, the customer placed the order for 3 bottles where the
volume discount price is $39.97 for each bottle under the offer and
the total is $119.91 with free shipping and that's a one-time
purchase, so there was no auto-ship for that one.

Hope it's clear to you now.

Thanks

Arif
Cheers to life :-)

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 4:45 AM Vimal Tewari <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Arif,
>
> Customer called me and want to cancel all auto-ships for now so as I checked there is 1 Auto-Ship in UltraCart and another 1 order # 3184 which looks like the price customer order is the Auto-Ship Price but when I check under Subscription option in Shopify it look like there is no active Auto-Ship therefore, I cancelled the Auto-Ship in UltraCart & informed the same to customer there is no active Auto-ship .
>
> So, now I just want you to have a look into Shopify and let me know why the price customer ordered is showing as the Auto-Ship Price $39.97 when there is no active or in-active auto-ship I can see in Shopify. Please, help me out?
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
>
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Vimal Tewari