Subject: Zendesk Demo/ Call + ROI
From: Jofin Jose <[email-masked]>
To: Niren Dsouza <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 20:05:26 -0800

Hi, Niren,

I'm reaching out to you from Zendesk and looking forward to learning if you
have any initiatives around the helpdesk platform.

Zendesk is a support platform for customer-first companies to enhance
customer experiences and enable support reps to perform better so you can
focus on further CX improvement with the help of analytics.
Ola saw a 40% improvement in their CSAT score
<https://www.zendesk.com/customer/ola-1/> with the Zendesk Support and
Guide.
Check out our new ROI Calculator <https://www.zendesk.com/cx-champion/#roi>
.

The companies you use, use Zendesk: Ola, Forest Essentials, Furlenco,
DevFactory, and more.
I’d be happy to discuss our offerings or do a quick demo and answer any
questions you have on a call.
Please reply to this email and I'll get in touch.

Best,

*Jofin Jose*
Sales Development - India, Zendesk
+91 89519 65932 | [email-masked]| www.zendesk.com