Subject: Agility Masterclass: Remove customer frustration
From: Sharath Kumar <[email-masked]>
To: Saurav Chakraborty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 17:22:50 -0700

Hi Saurav,

I wanted to personally reach out and invite you to our upcoming CX
event, *Agility
in Action*, on Thursday, 4 August. I really think you’ll find the content
of value.

I understand that *removing customer frustration* is an area of focus for
you, so I’ve *hand-picked a few sessions below* that I think might be of
interest in helping you drive this in your organisation.

   - *Unlocking agility:* Gus Balbontin explains how to use agility to
   overcome the challenges of corporate momentum

   - *Improve your self-service strategy with analytics:* Learn how to use
   analytics to bolster your self-service strategy.

   - *Choosing channels with agility:* How to optimize your channel mix and
   keep those conversations flowing.

   - *Rethinking digital-first work:* How do you build connections when you
   don’t bump into co-workers in the elevator?

   - *The magic of 'what if?'* Disney’s former Head of Innovation discussed
   tools to make innovation accessible to all

These are all MasterClasses that you can either view live or at your
leisure - just register here and unlock exclusive access
<https://gateway.on24.com/wcc/eh/3215819/lp/3250151/agility-in-action?partnerref=sharathkumar_salesreferral>
to
these resources and more.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Sharath
Sign up now: Agility in Action
<https://gateway.on24.com/wcc/eh/3215819/lp/3250151/agility-in-action?partnerref=sharathkumar_salesreferral>

Sharath
Sales Development - India, Zendesk
+91 9035373734| [email-masked] | www.zendesk.com