Subject: [Exclusive CX event invite] The Digital Tipping Point
From: Swaroop Sagar <[email-masked]>
To: Saurav Chakraborty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 05:46:37 -0500

Hello,

Hope you’re well, it’s Swaroop here from Zendesk.

I would like to personally invite you to an upcoming CX event that you
wouldn’t want to miss, The Digital Tipping Point
<http://www.zendesk.com/webinars/the-digital-tipping-point-india/?utm_source=s_sagar&utm_medium=sales_referral&utm_campaign=dtp>
*. *

*Join us on 21 April as we’ll dive into the latest on digital adoption in
customer experience.* In our recent Customer Experience Trends 2021 report
<https://www.zendesk.com/customer-experience-trends/>, 80% of business
leaders in Asia Pacific agree that the global pandemic has accelerated
needs for new technologies to keep up with rising customer expectations.

At this online event, you’ll learn the top areas companies should focus on
in 2021 and also hear from other companies on how their investment in
technology boosts their CX and helps them keep up with new customer
expectations. Finally, don’t miss Zendesk President of Products, Adrian
McDermott , who will share his Five Big Bets for CX in 2021.

Please register here.
<http://www.zendesk.com/webinars/the-digital-tipping-point-india/?utm_source=s_sagar&utm_medium=sales_referral&utm_campaign=dtp>

I look forward to seeing you!

Warm regards,
Swaroop
Sign up now: The Digital Tipping
<http://www.zendesk.com/webinars/the-digital-tipping-point-india/?utm_source=s_sagar&utm_medium=sales_referral&utm_campaign=dtp>

P.s. If you’re not able to participate, feel free to register anyway as
we’ll be able to send you a recording after the event.