Subject: Ticket Assigned - Item not delivered and refunded without asking me to refund me
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:50:34 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Item not delivered and refunded without asking me to refund me Dear all ,

I am writing you for the third time without any answers from you.

I had been waiting for an item ordered on  the 8 th of june to be delivered
the following day.

As I didn't receive the item , I called twice the customer service. On the
9 th and they realize my phone number wasn't correct,  and assured me I
would receive the item the following morning.

On the 10th , I called again  at around 10.30 am dubai time and Mrs Shahad,
customer représentative assured me that I would receive the item the same
day. I asked her if it was possible for her to contact me again the same
day to check on the status of my order, she didn't want to as she explained
it wasn't à possibility. However I explained to get that after that I was
going on leave , this is why I needed the delivery ASAP , as it was
mentioned on the website when I purchase the item.

Today I received à refund for my item that I still want to receive once I
come back from my leave ( on the 19th june) .

I find it NOT professional to make me run after an item that I purchase and
I didn't find the customer service team on the line helpful at all.

Name : Marine hally
Phone 0585400268

Waiting for a reply as all my emails are being ignored so far

Regards

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4497697