Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 01:48:10 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   Dear C service team,

Writing this to make a complaint for online return orders.

Yesterday I visited the center point medinah road jubail store to return my
orders but out of two, one order was not returned as it was showing in the
system online return request. I have not made any online request for any
item. After being waiting for a long time in the queue my turn came I was
told to talk to customer service.

Order # 6145294219  (counter person proceeded for return and order item is
still with me)
Order# 6145297318 (order returned wrongly by counter attendees.

Order # 6145908340 (as per counter can not be returned as there is online
request for return but I had not made any request for return.. Now I
proceeded for online return )

Today again I visited to return the same item and one more item and again
both were not accepted by counter team as it was not showing in their
system.

Pls suggest me what to do to return

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4430850