Subject: Ticket Assigned - Credit vocher
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 02:00:48 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Credit vocher Hi Center point,

I have received a credit vocher for returning a product from store. It
worth 119 aed..so for the next purchase I use the credit voucher for
19aed...Still 100aed is balance in the vocher..I store cashier told me I
can use the balance for next purchase but should use within 6months..but
when I approach store for next purchase, they are asking for first vocher.
So I called customer care they are informing that it is a single use
vocher...

We customers are confusing with the wrong messages and I can't use the 100
aed...I lost the money...

Really pathetic with the service..

We are not getting enough information from the store staff...Store staffs
are giving wrong information and I lost my 100 aed.

Please help

Attaching my second purchase bill..

My shukran card mobile number 0544643777
In the name of Sanoop George

Awaiting the reply

Minu Mary Thomas
Contact me in 0544177845

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4337353