Subject: Ticket Assigned - complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 02:10:28 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  complaint Dear Sir / Madam ,

Hope you are doing well , I'm writing this complaint based on a dispute
between my self & Splash Bahrain - Marina mall branch .

I bought few items & returned them back and they suppose to return my
money back , since I bought those items using debit card they told they
will return the money back via bank account & science that day no money
returned back to my account and whenever I follow up with them they keep
blaming you ( Credimax ) as you are delaying to returning the money , they
informed me several times that they wrote an emails to you and follow up
but no response from your side .

kindly advice the reason not to return back my money ( if thats correct ) .

attached a copy of the return advice they give to me .

Waiting for your reply .

-- 
Thanks & Regards ,

*Safa Salman Ali *Mob : +973 36122424
E-mail : [email-masked]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4408460