Subject: Ticket Assigned - Website policy not correct. Return items.
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 02:04:12 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Website policy not correct. Return items. Good Morning team Splash,

Hope you’re doing fine!

I just got back from Eid holiday today and I am happy to fit my new Splash
order.

I ordered a lot of things from Kappa to try the fit as I was really
satisfied with the size and fit from the same items from Kappa that I
bought before in your store as online (got 4 already).

2 items fitted and the other ones are for returning. However it’s not
possible to return all items online. It’s strange because I returned this
kind of item before so it has nothing to do with hygienic reasons. Also if
you look on the website (see attachment return policy not correct) the same
item from the same brand with the same item name and item product you can
return.

So the website policy is not correct. I would not order this much to try
(which one fits the best) if you cannot return it. I knew I could return it
from before. Also your website should be in line if you cannot return it.
If you can return the same item from the same brand you should return all
the same items from the same brand (see attachment return policy not
correct). Or you should make it clear on the product page that this article
in particular cannot be returned when other articles from the same item
(Sport bra) and same brand (kappa) can be returned. This also didn’t take
place on the website (see attachment: no message product page).

 I would like to return these items. I only fit them today (same as you do
and can do in the store because these items can be fit in the store). All
the carts are still attached and everything is wrapped back as I received
it. I made pictures of proof with the product number in the picture.

My order number is: 9567859943

Below are the items for returning:

*1. Sports top*

*Product name:* Sustainable Kappa Solid Sports Bra with Scoop Neck and Mesh
Detail

*Size:* S

*Code:* 6292372797716

*2. Sports top*
Product name: Sustainable Kappa Solid Sports Bra with Scoop Neck and Mesh
Detail

*Size:* S

*Code:* 6292372797631

*Extra:* this product received with a stain.

*3. Sports top*
*Product name:* Sustainable Kappa Solid Sports Bra with Scoop Neck and Mesh
Detail

*Size:* M

*Code:* 6292372797648

*4. Sports top*
Product name: Sustainable Kappa Printed Sports Bra with Racerback

*Size:* S

*Code:* 6292372939604

*5. Sports top*

Product name: Kappa Logo Print Sports Bra

*Size:* S

*Code:* 6292374400775

Also I would like to return 1 pair pack of socks. I got 2 different sizes
from each pair pack. On the website it says free size (so 1 size see
attachment: socks missing size on website). But I receive 2 different sizes
and not the same so I cannot wear 1 (see attachment: 6292357369044) .

*6. socks product code:*

6292357369044

Could you please pick up the return items on the same delivery address? If
a refund is difficult you can also give me credits of the same amount as I
ALWAYS shop at Splash (it’s my favorite store in Dubai). So I can
definitely use it as well.

Also forward this message to the website team so they can make sure the
website is correct. Make sure the policy is in line with the same items
otherwise clients cannot know.

I wish you a lovely morning!

Best wishes

Doenia Salik

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4330877