Subject: Ticket Assigned - Very bad experience with centerpoint for online purchase Order #9510969718
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 16:34:49 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Very bad experience with centerpoint for online purchase Order #9510969718 Dear Centerpoint team,

One month ago, I returned one item, but the money for the returned item has
not been refunded till now.

The order and Item details are given below

Order #9510969718

Item name:  Sustainable Textured Crew Neck Sweatshirt with Long Sleeves

I made telephonic/chat complaints several times but all are a waste of time
as the matter is not resolved yet.

*Kindly advise where I should go to get my refund for Sustainable Textured
Crew Neck Sweatshirt with Long Sleeves*

Furthermore, I would like to inform you that I never returned or received a
refund for the item “Sustainable Iconic Solid T-shirt with Short Sleeves
and Crew Neck”.I have used the item “Sustainable Iconic Solid T-shirt with
Short Sleeves and Crew Neck” (photo attached). Why is the system showing
item returned which I never returned.Overall, a very bad experience with
your company. Register Zero rating –Big 0 from my side

Regards,

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3552185