Subject: Ticket Assigned - Splash Order Return - 9507465426 & 9507713475 (URGENT)
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 13:10:03 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Splash Order Return - 9507465426 & 9507713475 (URGENT) Dear Team,

I would like to escalate my concern towards the return of online products
for two orders 9507465426 & 9507713475 due to a size mismatch. We had
purchased a similar product with the correct size with order 9507859775.

We have been trying to place a return request since 12th October and
onwards online and with your contact center. We had reached out to your
contact center multiple a time and had made multiple complaints as well,
but no response to date.

We had received a call from your complaint unit, but no assistance from
them as well. We are a regular client of Landmark group, and we never
expect such poor customer service from your end.

Please assist in immediately canceling the two orders 9507465426 &
9507713475 and kindly arrange the pick-up of products from the given
address and refund of money AED 280 (AED 132 + AED 148) to the same card
used for payment, at the earliest.

Please contact on +971 527989141 if you need further information from our
side.

Thanks,

Neha Manoj

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3474585