Subject: Ticket Assigned - REFUND REQUEST AGAINST COMPLAIN NUMBER 3423809 FOR AED 52
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:26:11 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  REFUND REQUEST AGAINST COMPLAIN NUMBER 3423809 FOR AED 52 Dear Centrepoint Team,

Please be informed that i had been placing an order but the payment didn't
go through but the Amount was Deducted from my Bank Account.
I spoke with my Bank (NBD Bank), my Bank told me that payment has gone
through my account as well as they gave me *Approval Code 439772* & asked
me to give the same to your Customer Support Team.

When I approached the Customer Support Team they were not able to generate
the payment with the above mentioned Approval Code since the order was not
generated in your system.

So they took the Complaint & told me that there will be a response on the
same to reverse the Payment which was Deducted from my Bank Account but i
am yet to receive the feedback from your side.

*My Complaint Number is 3423809 (Amount Deducted is AED 52).*
Your earliest feedback on my above request will be highly appreciated, also
given below is the Screenshot for your reference from Centerpoint as well
as from Bank for your reference.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3432671