Subject: Ticket Assigned - Please assist urgently WhatsApp Chat with +971 800 629823
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:26:11 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Please assist urgently WhatsApp Chat with +971 800 629823 Dear Sir,

My phone was stolen and I have downloaded the app on my new phone but I
have forgotten my password.  I still have credits in my ewallet.  I have
tried reaching out to your customer service but was disappointed with them
as they are not paying attention to my concern.

They have asked me to give them a screenshot of me forgetting my password?
Like how?  Scan my brain? This is so ridiculous!

I have attached my conversation with your unprofessional customer service
for your reference.

Please I have lost my password and I just want to recover it. So I clicked
on the "FORGET PASSWORD" and typed in my email and the recovery password
link was never received.  I have checked on my SPAM and have been trying
for 1 week. I DIDN'T receive the LINK!!

Please assist as soon as possible!

Thank you.

Nikko
my new mobile number is 0522213255

Chat history is attached as "WhatsApp Chat with +971 800 629823" file to
this email.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3429971