Subject: Ticket Assigned - Status on return request
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:26:06 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Status on return request Hi Centrepoint team,

This email is regarding the return request made on the Centrepoint app on
11th November.
I have received the confirmation email which says the item will be picked
up in 2 to 5 business days.

I have with me the details below.
Return ID: 1001568069
Order ID: 9512079681

I would like to know the status of the pick-up and why it has been well
over the committed number of days and there hasn't been any communication
with me yet.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Sohail
+971 54 574 2647

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3411933