Subject: Ticket Assigned - Replace
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 16:40:24 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Replace Hello Centre Point Team,

Yesterday I received my Order No. 8113708527.

In Oderded it is clearly Mentioned Blue Curtain Color .

But
Printed 2-Piece Curtain Set with Eyelets - 260x140 cm which I ordered Blue
But I Received Green  Color.

I spoke to your Customer Care Service (1800871). They informed me to come
to our Store & Return it But i don't want to return it , i requested them
replace it with same product with blue color or if not available same
replace it with this below.
Floral Print 2-Piece Chenille Jacquard Curtain Set with Eyelets - 135x240
cms
KWD 18KWD 12.90 which I can see online Available Blue Color.

When I asked you Customer Care Agent i Want to Speak to You Manager they
Give me this Email Address.

This is not My Mistake at all i asked you Blue But your store Team Send me
Green Color . So you have to solve this issue.

So I Request You to Send me a Blue Curtain & Take Green Which I did not
Order for You.

Looking For A Positive Reply From Your Side.

Thanks & Regards
Abbas Naya
Mobile: 56642909

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3416303