Subject: Ticket Assigned - URGENT REFUND REQUEST
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 16:40:22 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  URGENT REFUND REQUEST Dear Team,

It was quiet disappointing to have this experience by doing the online
shopping from a brand like splash.

I had ordered an item with order no 9500077789. The order was delivered on
12th september 2021.

A return request was raised on 20th september 2021 and multiple calls has
been made by me for collection but no response from them. Today is 31st Oct
2021 and till now it has not been picked up.

This is very disappointing and heartbreaking to say the above. This is sure
that I am not going to shop from this brand.

Attaching a few emails of my refund request. Please process my
refund immediately if you dont want to pick your product.

My contact no is +971509794707.

Regards
Divya

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3343632