Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delivery issue
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:49:11 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delivery issue Dear team ,
It's really unbelievable from your coustmer team . I am receiving calls for
returns but I didnt received for package delivery. I am receiving call from
homebox and centerpoint.  Only i am not receiving calls from max delivery.
I am waiting for my package from last Thursday.
I gave 100 of emails to coustmer care by mail , chat and call. Everytime
they will say we will deliver your order as soon as possible. I am not
getting call as I gave my phone number 100 times . I registered my
alternative number too .

It's really horrible customer service. I didn't expect this from your
side.  Everytime it's saying out for delivery but they will not go out from
hidd or mahurraq.
They didn't came to riffa also . Why your are giving us tracking details if
you are not going to follow that.

.kindly see to the matter because I got fed up .

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3449168