Subject: Ticket Assigned - Money refund delay
From: Homecentre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 08:32:21 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Money refund delay To whome it may concern ,

On the 15th of July I placed an online order from the website , after the
money was withdrawn it said it will take an hour to process, after that I
have received an email saying that the order was not processed , yet the
money was taken from my account ..
I have called the help center on the phone and asked for the bank
transaction number , and told me they will talk to the financial department
which will reimburse me , Waited for a whole week , no one contacted me .
So I went to the home centre in Kuwait city , and the eployee told me that
I can get the items with the same price , but he didn't tell me that I had
to pay , he was not specific , so he said I had to pay extra because it was
not online and the services differ ... So I canceled the order and didn't
pay because he miss informed me ... Last week I called the call center
again and they said they are working on it ..
To be honest it has been almost a month and I still did not get my money
back ..
I will attach two screen shots of the email I recieved , that include the
order number and how much money was withdrawn from me ...
I will wait another week , if no one is to contact me , I might have to
take legal action, which I do not prefer , I have been very patient so far
, if it was another person , this might have escalated fast ..
Thank you for understanding , and I hope you contact me as soon as possible
to resolve this and I get a refund .
Thank you
Najoud Ritha
P.S : you will see attached two screenshots of the email I received and the
amount withdrawn from my account .

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2981800