Subject: Ticket Assigned - Request to know credit note expiry
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 04:41:45 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Request to know credit note expiry Hello dear
                  I’m ur regular customer.actually I have 4 credit note I
applied two to three times every credit note is showing not valid or
something n not applying.I will send u pic attachment u go through it.mean
while I will send u credit notes numbers can u check n tell me of that
credit notes expiry date n which department I can use that note tell me
plzzz.I’m out of country at present so plzz help me to order the items n my
husband he is in UAE n can pickup that items okk. Sending u credit note
numbers okk.(6435324690308993708)....(96165173047549731351)this note is
expired yesterday I tired  so much time but it’s showing not valid help me
to Order online not in store because I’m out of country
now..(96067306749250510808).....(96876646285092390165)... these all credit
note check n tell me..details plzzz...so plzz kindly solve my issue as soon
as possible.
                                Thanking you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2725440