Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #7433051204
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 10:35:43 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #7433051204 Hello support team,

I had an order scheduled to be delivered yesterday "a toddler bed" when
they try to fix they informed me there was a faulty with one piece so they
will replace it with a new one.

Today they came with two pieces of the bed already fixed needed to be
connected in the middle.

After they were done they informed me not to carry it as other beds -from
top and bottom- instead it should be carried from each side as it will
break in the middle, when i took a look there was a gap between the pieces
as shown in attached picture, the two legs in the e middle are not staight,
and if you tried to move it from top or bottom it will break, informed them
that the bed is not fixed properly, he told me all the beds are like this!

I didn't move the bed and not going to use until i feel it will be safe for
my daughter to sleep in, if you could send someone or take it to fix the
problem.

Check the attached files please

Regards
Maha sarhani

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2068527