Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complain of Defaulted items
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 05:24:23 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complain of Defaulted items ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: k i <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 20:41
Subject: Complain of Defaulted items
To: <[email-masked]>

Hello splash team,
I am a regular customer of splash ,majority of the times i buy clothes
online frm splash. This Time i ordered some jewellery to wear  but to my
surprise i got defaulted items .i trusted the quality  so much as it was
from splash i didnot open and check till i had to  wear it 2 days back.i
saw one of the jewellery pearl bracelet was broken and the other anklet i
tried to wear it the strings just came out and another bracelet the studs
are missing.i am attaching the pictures and mentioning order number here in
the email for your reference.
Order number
9617197149 for pearl detail bracelet and set of 3- Embelished bangles
9622036734 for set of 3 embelished adjustable anklets.
As i m a your very loyal customer i am looking forward to early reply from
you and help in return of these items as they are of no good to me.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1904504