Subject: Ticket Assigned - sterilizer not working, poor customer service
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 14:04:32 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  sterilizer not working, poor customer service Hi

i am extremely disappointed

i have bought the tommee tippee sterilizer online on 29/7/2022 #7380126312
and have been using it for 3 months no issues until suddenly it stopped
working

i called your call center on monday and she told me that it is under 1 year
warranty and i have to take it to the agent and when i asked her who is the
agent she told me look under the box, nothing was under the box!

today i when to your branch at city center. it took the staff more than 30
minutes to come and check the sterilizer and after multiple phone-calls ha
told me that there is no warranty and no agent in bahrain!!! and literally
advised me to take it to an electrician to fix it when it should be under
warranty!!!

when i called again for help through the phone and asked the worker for the
agent name he told me to contact email no answer whatsoever, ridiculous!

so in total i have reached 3 different people and each one gave me a
different answers when there should be a very simple solution

i have been a customer since forever and this is the worst experience i
have ever received

looking forward to fixing my sterilizer as soon as possible, in the end of
the day this is a daily use baby device that i need urgently

regards
maryam asbool

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5383448