Subject: Ticket Assigned - Not Delivered even after 10 days - Order #9401839339
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 08:03:55 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Not Delivered even after 10 days - Order #9401839339 Dear Concern,

This is not the very first time I am contacting through email for
experiencing the same issue in an online order delivery.

Whether it is Click n Collect or Home Delivery, I have never received the
package on the given timeline while placing the order online.

The delivery date was shown as 23rd Nov. for the order which I placed on
22nd Nov. The package delivery guy is calling me at 9PM on 23rd Nov. from
my office door and stating that I have reached your office and there is no
one. I was wondering what to answer to that guy because I perfectly
selected delivery timing i.e. between 9AM to 5PM and he was unaware about
it. This is a workplace, I don't stay overnight in the office!!!

Kudos to the great training given to the courier people as the delivery was
rescheduled 3 times and all 3 times the courier person reached my office
after 6 PM only and rescheduled the last 2 times without contacting me.

Last time, the package was out for delivery before 10AM on 30th Nov, there
is lack of planning for delivering a package as it took more than 8 hours
and finally rescheduled without informing me.

Customer care management was ignoring me over the call. They made me wait
for around 30 minutes over the call for them to come to the line and talk
to me. Worst experience of customer care!!!

Actually I bought these items to use during holidays, unfortunately I
didn't receive them due to GREAT courier management.
I think this experience will stop me from buying anything from the
Splash/Centrepoint website in future.

Below order status and tracking FYI.

Looking forward to receiving compensation for the delay in the delivery and
efforts I've put into contacting customer care and wasting my energy over
the call and spending my time drafting this mail.

*Make sure not to cancel this order in any case.*

Waiting to receive the package soon,
Maulik
(Find my number using order number if required)

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5395632