Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order Return Error ( Orders 9595080324 and 9400428944)
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:11:23 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order Return Error ( Orders 9595080324 and 9400428944) To whom it may concern at Max,

I am writing with regards to issues with two (2) orders.  Please see below
my matters.

A)  *Order No. 9595080324*

With regards to this order, I submitted a return, which was cancelled.  I
did not cancel the return.  The driver came to pick up the items, but I was
not home.  So he told my mother he would come back the next day.  When he
came a few days later to drop off another order, my mother tried to give
him the items, and he said the return was cancelled, so he could not
collect them.  I received an email that my return cancellation request was
successful, but I did not cancel it.  May you please look into this, to
ensure the items are returned?

- Item 1 - Solid split long sleeves blazer with notched lapel and button
closure
- Item 2 - Ombre detail wide leg pants with elasticated waistband

B)  *Order No. 9400428944*

This order was appearing as "shipped" since I ordered it, and did not
appear as delivered.  Due to this, I was unable to submit any return
request from my end.  May you kindly assist me with this?  The items for
return are listed below.

1) All over print a-line dress with round neck and long sleeves
2) Solid shirt with spread collar and knot detail
3) Solid round neck top with extended sleeves and ruffles
4) Solid v-neck top with long sleeves
5) Solid long sleeves top with button closure and chest pocket
6) Checked cold shoulder crop top with ruffled collar
7) Solid top with long sleeves and knot detail
8) All over floral embroidered a-line dress with short sleeves
9) Printed top with round neck and bell sleeves

If the delivery driver will come to collect the items soon, kindly ensure
he comes tomorrow, in order for me to prepare the items for pick up.  Thank
you so much in advance for your assistance!

Kind regards,
Noora

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5412208