Subject: Ticket Assigned - For receiving the product which I ordered
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 08:43:00 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  For receiving the product which I ordered Good afternoon

    With a deep regret and disappointment , This email is in the reference
of the order number 9402890565 placed and payed on 26/11/2022 of product
 Lee cooper Men’s Textured Slip on Chelsea Boot.
Please find attached order copy and the images of the item I ordered.
My name is Nijin Muhammed and I am writing this email to bring to your kind
immediate notice that your collection point (Center Point , Bawabat Al
Sharq Mall, Abu Dhabi had provided me the wrong product (Please find
attached the photos of the shoes in the collection point).
Since it was not the same product hence I didn’t receipt the same from the
store ,
You to kindly send me the correct product at the earliest. I have enclosed
a copy of the order I made with this email I hope you will take immediate
action.
Please note that I am not expecting any refund option for the same after 14
days due to mistake from your side.
Kindly do the need full.

Nijin Mohammed

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5364574