Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order # 9580769156 Genuinity of the Product
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 11:38:08 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order # 9580769156 Genuinity of the Product My name is Derrick Kinny purchased an
Apple AirPods 3rd generation  on 3rd August 2022 but from last week it’s
giving errors stating cannot verify product and there is no proper sound on
right earbud since the product is under warranty till 18th November 2022 I
contacted Apple customer service after troubleshooting various steps the
issue was not resolved hence they advised to visit Apple Authorised dealer
Istyle ABM care in Sahara center.After checking the product at the service
center they advised me that they cannot verify the serial number on the
invoice you provided hence they are asking for original invoice from
original place of purchase .So I contacted centrepoint customer care and
the agent advised me that they cannot provide original invoice and advised
to write an email with description of the issue.

Requesting you to kindly look into this matter on priority as the warranty
is only till 18th Nov plus  this was very embarrassing for me in the store
to know that the product seems not to be genuine.

Centrepoint is a big brand under Landmark group I don’t want to escalate
further to relevant  authorities and requesting you to take the product and
refund the amount without any delay.

Please find attached service report from the authorised service provider
and invoice copy from centrepoint.

Kindly get back to me ASAP without any delays.

Regards
Derrick Kinny
0564034673

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5273904