Subject: Ticket Assigned - Credit note (voucher) not working.
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 09:28:55 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Credit note (voucher) not working. Hello,

I want to address my issue that i am facing regarding a voucher that was
issued from centerpoint. I ordered some products from centerpoint online
app and on arrival i found out that they were not fit in size. I went to
centerpoint store and returned them and they issued me a credit note of 159
dhs. When i got back home i tried to re order the same products in the true
size and after proceeding to checkout i punched that credit note that
worked and the amount after that i had to pay was 48 dhs so i punched the
details of my credit card but the site gave me an error. I tried so many
times the error remained the same..so i decided to do it from the beggining
and remove credit note and number and added the products again and when i
punched that credit note no again , they said you can not redeem it retry
now...and now i cant use that note that has my 159 dhs stuck in it...i went
to the stores the said call helpline and i called they said write an email
with order no and the pic of that note...so i m doing the same...my order
no is 9593046567 and you can find the picture of note in the
attachment..plzz resolve my issue as soon as possible...

Regards
Wajeeha

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5089804