Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 08:48:56 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   To whom it may concern,
I ordered Baylis & Harding 3 piece gift set of worth AED 49 online and when
i ordered i made sure that it was a 300ml gift set as the overview didn't
contain the information so i cleared it from the pictures. Very next day
you guys added another gift set of worth AED 99 with the same overview and
pictures on your website (which wasn't there when i ordered) this was
really very shocking for me but i thought maybe this isn't worth bothering.
Today I received my order and it was of 100 ml gift set I would like to let
you know that this is extremely misguiding if this was an error then it was
your mistake I ordered it because according to the information given by you
it was a 300ml gift set. I also got my order a day late. I am looking
forward for your reply on this matter please look into this so that i can
buy from you next time.
I have also attached the pictures for the item which i bought you can also
make sure from your website there are two gift sets with same overview and
pictures but different prices.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5235884