Subject: Ticket Assigned - A 90 DHS TROUSER COLOUR BLEEDED CAUSING A LOSS OF AED 1500 DHS - ACTION REQUIRED ASAP
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 03:08:59 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  A 90 DHS TROUSER COLOUR BLEEDED CAUSING A LOSS OF AED 1500 DHS - ACTION REQUIRED ASAP Hi There ,

please note that from a couple of weeks ago i brought a trouser( picture
attached)  from center point MOE - UAE .

When I washed the trouser as per the instructions on the trouser in the
washing machine it color bleeded and spoiled all my clothes  which  were
in the same washing cycle .

I went to moe branch from where I bought the trouser and complained to
Farouk ( I guess he is the store manager )  who accordingly said that he
will take care of this case which he did but not as expected .

He called and wasted a lot of my time on the phone (about an hour in total
)   revolving around the same vicious circle and using useless phrases ..
like we care and we appreciate all these useless things which he thinks
that he is putting the anger down with and instead he is increasing it !!!
with  ZERO outcome.

Even after sharing with him pictures of the spoiled clothes and meeting him
in person and agreeing on his request to give back my trouser for quality
check after he gets me another one with the same size. however he was very
junior to solve the case in a pro way.
So he didn't find my size and insisted that I should give my trousers for a
quality check and then MAYBE landmark / centrepoint can compensate !!!!
Really ? Is this what the landmark stands for ?

So to conclude this is my request .

Landmark to compensate me with the estimated loss value of AED 1500 worth
of clothes although some of them are priceless being a loved item and
another as a gift from a cousin.

I'm not giving  my trousers for any quality check now you can do
your homework and find out your defaults ,,it's your job not mine to help
you with.

I'll wait for your reply and I'm sure that Landmark cares about
the International word of mouth reputation  .  Landmark garments are
subject to colour bleeding !!  with proof and video ready to be shared .

Appreciate your understanding and looking forward to get my fair consumer
right to get compensated towards my loss

Hamdan

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4849196