Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: WRONG ITEM IN ORDER
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 14:44:36 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: WRONG ITEM IN ORDER Sorry sent that without completing the email

I placed order number 9592743118 a few days ago and received it today. 3
items are fine but one of the items is incorrect. Attached is the eye liner
I ordered and the one I received (the eyeliner pen is totally different
from the one I ordered. I use this brand all the time and it's two
different eye liner pen tips)

I would like to exchange it for the correct one ASAP please.

Please advise.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Zainab Zaidi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022, 18:32
Subject: WRONG ITEM IN ORDER
To: <[email-masked]>

I placed order number 9592743118 a few days ago and received it today. 3
items are fine but one of the items is incorrect

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5083953