Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint regarding 3 delivered products with images
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 08:23:54 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint regarding 3 delivered products with images Hi regarding the complaint made by me to the call representative i am
sending you picture proof

1)order no 8191536452
trendyol women grey knitted was ordered in large size but i received small
size of the trouser,pic is attached,please provide me correct size

2)order no 8191536452
textured 3 piece votive with plate has broken plate when delivery received
Please return this

3)order no 8191352103
Bessie london tote bag has magnet
 attached in the inside ,pic provided,please send someone to remove this

For order 1 i want correct size of the trouser and order 3 i want magnet to
be removed please provide home solutions to both

Order no 2 i want to return without replacement

To be noted this isnt the first time i faced problem in online order and im
highly annoyed please provide me solution regarding all 3 products

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5047377