Subject: Ticket Assigned - Defect shirt
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 08:24:44 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Defect shirt Hello Centre point,

I have ordered a shirt in my order No -1688674161.
But the shirt deliveried is the damaged one. Attaching the photo of the
same.

But it’s very disappointing that … I have purchased the same shirt before
and you have deliveried me the same defect shirt and on my complaint you
taken back this shirt and given me voucher … but now when I order the same
type of shirt … you send me back the same defect shirt which I returned it
before .. it’s not at all fair and good marketing and professional ethic…
Pls take back this shirt and refund me the amount fully as don’t want to
buy anything from you again…
Who will be responsible and pay me for the petrol  and my time regarding
the collection nd return of these items ..
and how come you cheat the regular buyer like me by sending the same defect
shirt which I only returned …
For your reference I am mentioning my earlier order number also -1682770493
-- 
*Thanks & Regards,*

*Santhosh Kumar. P*
*GSM Oman: +968 96242470*
*GSM India : +91 7349336470*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4960700