Subject: Ticket Assigned - Reverse Splash returns with Max
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 09:26:27 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Reverse Splash returns with Max Dear Sir,

Hope you are doing well.

My name is Yuhang, I bought some clothes from Splash and Max around
same time last week. I received Splash delivery first and Max later. I
tried them, and some were not suitable for me. So I requested for return,
these two brands all had returns. I first requested Splash returns and Max
later.

I returned three items on Saturday first, but I returned Max three items. I
realized that I returned wrong ones, i should return Splash two items
first. So now the problem is that I reversed the Splash returns with Max.
By the way,  now I didn’t return Splash clothes.

Can you help me to deal with this issue?

These three orders number are:
Splash: 9577994712, two items need to return.
Max: 9577860554, two items returned.
Max: 9577995360, one item returned.

Reminder:
Every time, when pick up drivers came, if I missed their call, I cannot
call them back. It’s the first trouble. And the other is that driver didn’t
check the pickup order number, and no code to identify my pick up.

Hope this problem can be resolved ASAP.
Thank you so much.

Best wishes,
Yuhang

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4628702