Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delayed Service - Complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 07:38:28 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delayed Service - Complaint Hi,

I would like to make a complain and follow-up about my order because until
now it has not been delivered yet. It was clearly stated in the website
that it should be delivered on 3rd July. However, it was not done yet until
now.

I have called everyday and even requested several times to make it urgent
and it should be delivered before 5pm because I have night shift work in Al
Jaddaf and my accommodation in Muhaisnah (location of delivery) will not
receive deliveries. I need to collect it myself. I was even planning to go
somewhere as tomorrow is my off but I need to wait til it gets delivered.
Otherwise, it will be more inconvenient.

 Even if the order isn’t much but I cannot always wait and this delayed
service is very frustrating and disrespectful to your customers. I have
been promised that it will be delivered soon but to no avail.   For sure I
will not order again as i’m having bad experience from you guys.

Requesting for an immediate action

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4588711