Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order No. 4673207077 / Complain no. 4539663
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 11:59:02 +0000

Hi Samer Salmeh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order No. 4673207077 / Complain no. 4539663 I would like to raise a complaint related to Order no. 4673207077.

I have received the items from the online store and one of the items is a
dress which I would like to ask for a refund or a voucher for in-store
usage.
I asked for support from Dar Al-Salam Centerpoint counter but they couldn't
help and advised me to approach the customer service related to the online
store.
Accordingly, I made a call and raised a complaint no. 4539663 with no
feedback until I made another call to follow up but unfortunately it was
unhelpful.

I believe customer satisfaction is one of your key values when dealing with
your customer in such a case.

I appreciate to support me here and arrange for refund or in-store voucher
at the earliest
-- 
Best Regards,
Mira Habib

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4552017